Wednesday, September 26, 2012

German Apple Cake

Tomorrow is my husband's birthday, but it also happens to be the birthday of a great friend of mine.  My hubby wanted ice cream cake, so we decided to try Cold Stone for his. I offered to make a cake for my friend, and this is the cake she decided on. It just so happened I had a bag full of apples from my parents' farm.

German Apple Cake 

2 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (I use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups apples, peeled, cored, and diced

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour one 9 x13 inch cake pan.
In mixing bowl, beat oil and eggs with electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat well.
Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick.  Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until cake tests done.  Let cake cool.  Once cake is cool, serve with a dusting of powdered sugar, cream cheese frosting, or butter rum sauce (my fav).






No comments:

Post a Comment